The stone Church of the Holy Epiphany at the Cathedral of the Assumption in Zvenigorod was built in stone in 2001-2002 in the place of its wooden predecessor (1). The wooden church had all but a very brief history. Its construction took only 3 months, from September until November 1893.
Consecration of the Church of the Holy Epiphany on December 30 (such speedy construction and consecration could only be explained by a strong desire to start administration of church services in a warm building as early as in the winter of 1894) was reported in two articles – one published in Moskovskie Tserkovnye Vedomosti and another in Moskovskiy Listok (2). Consecration was conducted with pontifical liturgy by Bishop Tikhon of Mozhaisk. “Beautiful words delivered by Father, Archpriest of the Cathedral, in the day of consecration in the sacrament prayer, words of gratitude to the Lord and benefactors, better than anything else expressed…. unremitting love of the orthodox heart to the adornment of churches of the living God.”
The original Church of the Holy Epiphany lasted for a little more than thirty years. Its place was taken up by coal sheds; an outhouse was built where its altar used to stand.
The idea to restore the Church of the Holy Epiphany came about in the year 2000. Under the guidance of the archpriest of the monastic metochion archimandrite Hieronymus and through the good offices of benefactors, the church was built in 2001-2002 and consecrated on February 22, 2003 by Father Superior of the Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery archimandrite Theoctistus.
1 D.А. Sedov. Consecration of the Church of the Holy Epiphany-on-Gorodok. // Savvinskoye Slovo, 2003, №2.
2 Moskovskiy Listok, 1894, №4 (January 4), Page 3; Moskovskie Tserkovnye Vedomosti, 1894, №2 (January 8), Page 25.